Firearms, ammunition, explosives and the like


Basic information


Outline of the system

Pursuant to the Law on the Control of Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives and the Like, a licensing and permit system applies in order to control the importation of, and trade in, firearms and ammunition and the importation of explosives; the Ministry of National Defence is responsible for administering control on importation and the provisions of the law through a specialized organ of the Honduran armed forces.


Product coverage

(a) An automatic licence is granted to the Armoury and to firms authorized to import explosives.

(b) Non-automatic licences are for persons applying to import explosives and are issued within a period no longer than 30 days.

Honduran legislation stipulates which items are subject to licence:
Small arms and hand-held weapons: revolvers and semi-automatic pistols up to point four-five inches (.45), or eleven point five millimetres (11.5) calibre; long or shoulder-held weapons: single-shot and semi automatic rifles and carbines up to point three hundred and eight calibre (.308); single-shot or semi automatic shotguns of calibre ten (10), twelve (12), sixteen (16), twenty (20) and point four hundred and ten (.410), wherever the barrel is no less than forty-six centimetres (46 cm) or eighteen (18) inches in length. Ammunition for the above. Accessories and spares for weapons, and explosives for commercial use: those used in the construction industry and pyrotechnic industrial processes; and cartridges used in powder- or other explosive-actuated tools for fastening industrial construction anchors. Gunpowder in any composition; picric acid; trinitrotoluene; nitroglycerine; nitrostarches; nitrocellulose; dynamite and amatols; generally speaking, any substance, mixture or compound with explosive properties; initiators; detonators; safety fuses; detonator cords; pyrotechnic devices; any instrument or mechanism usable for explosive purposes; chlorate; perchlorates; sodium metal; military explosives: those used in warfare or manufactured with like intent, exclusively for use by the armed forces and police forces.

Nature of licensing



If Automatic, administrative purpose



If Non-Automatic, description of the notified Non-Automatic Licensing regime


Products under restriction as to the quantity or value of imports

No; the general purpose of the import licensing system is to prevent the issuing of licences to persons in categories prohibited by law from possessing firearms.
Apart from the above purpose, the import requirements are intended to ensure that imported items are for use by official bodies (semi-automatic rifles, machine-guns, destructive devices, surplus military firearms or other similar firearms), and at the same time to maintain internal control over imported products.


Questions for products under restriction as to the quantity or value of imports

Not applicable.


The system applies to products originating from which country?

All countries except those whose legislation does not allow them to export.


Expected duration of licensing procedure

Eligibility of applicants


Is there a system of registration of persons or firms permitted to engage in importation?


What persons or firms are eligible to apply for a licence?

Any person, firm or institution may apply for a licence.


Is there a registration fee?


Is there a published list of authorized importers?

Contact point for information on eligibility










E-mail address




Contact officer

Submission of an application


Administrative body(ies) for submission of an application

Ministry of Defence

Documentation requirements


What information is required in applications?

With regard to import licences for explosives:
(a) Names and family names of the applicant, civil status, nationality, profession or occupation, identity card number, exact home address and that of habitual place of residence.
(b) Statement of quantity of explosives, make and other characteristics.
(c) Statement of purpose for which they are to be used, plus indication of the place where the explosives are to be stored and employed.
(d) Commercial description of applicant's activity.


What documents is the importer required to supply with the application?

Window of submission of an application


How far in advance of importation must application for a licence be made?


Are there any limitations as to the period of the year during which application for licence can be made? If so, explain

Issuing the license


Can a licence be granted immediately on request?

Import licences are issued to the Armoury within a maximum of two days from receipt of the application.
Licences for importation of explosives are issued within 30 days maximum.


Can licences be obtained within a shorter time-limit or for goods arriving at the port without a licence

Licences are issued on the basis of consumer need in chronological order.


Which administrative body is responsible for approving application of licences?

The Secretariat of State for National Defence has sole responsibility for examining applications.


Must the applications be passed on to other organs for visa, note or approval?

The Secretariat of State for National Defence is in charge of examining applications and subsequently refers to the Strategic Directorate of the Armed Forces to determine what security measures to apply. There is no difficulty in granting an import licence to a particular firm, since there are only two firms authorized to import explosives and arms.


Are there any other conditions attached to the issue of a licence?

The issue of a licence is not subject to other conditions.

Fees and other administrative charges


Is there any licensing fee or administrative charge?

The applicant is required to pay the sum of L. 1,000 for each explosives import licence.


What is the amount of the fee or charge?

The applicant is required to pay the sum of L. 1,000 for each explosives import licence.


Is there any deposit or advance payment required associated with the issue of licences?

This is a mandatory requirement for all applicants.


Amount or rate?


Is it refundable?

If an application is rejected because the applicant is not authorized to import, the amount is not refundable; application for cancellation of duties payable must be submitted by the applicant to the Executive Directorate of Revenue.


What is the period of retention?


What is the purpose of this requirement?

Refusal of an application


Under what circumstances may an application for a licence be refused other than failure to meet the ordinary criteria?


Are the reasons for any refusal given to applicants?

Reasons for refusal are notified to the applicant in writing, and appeals against refusal may be submitted to the Secretariat of State for National Defence.


Have applicants a right of appeal in the event of refusal to issue a licence?

Reasons for refusal are notified to the applicant in writing, and appeals against refusal may be submitted to the Secretariat of State for National Defence.


If so, to what bodies and under what procedures?

There are no additional procedures.



Are there any limitations as to the period of year during which importation may be made?


What documents are required upon actual importation?

Application for import licence; Certificate of origin; Pro forma invoice.


Are there any other administrative procedures, apart from import licensing and similar administrative procedures, required prior to importation?

There are no other procedural requirements prior to importation.

Conditions of licensing


What is the period of validity of a licence? Can the validity be extended? How?

There is no expiry date for import licences and a licence is issued for each application.


Is there any penalty for the non-utilization of a licence or a portion of a licence?

There is no penalty for non-use of a licence.


Are licences transferable between importers? If so, are any limitations or conditions attached to such transfer?

Import licences are not transferable.

Foreign Exchange


Is foreign exchange automatically provided by the banking authorities for goods to be imported?

Not applicable.


Is a licence required as a condition to obtaining foreign exchange?


Is foreign exchange always available to cover licences issued?


What formalities must be fulfilled for obtaining the foreign exchange?