Construction materials - sand and granite


Basic information


Outline of the system

The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) regulates the import of sand and granite, used as construction materials. The import of each consignment requires an import permit from BCA. In addition, an importer of sand and granite must have a valid licence. The licensee can apply for a licence for import of either sand or granite or both.


Product coverage

BCA’s import licensing scheme covers essential construction materials, specifically sand and granite.

Nature of licensing



If Automatic, administrative purpose



If Non-Automatic, description of the notified Non-Automatic Licensing regime


Products under restriction as to the quantity or value of imports

BCA's import licensing procedures are not intended to restrict the quantity or value of imports. They are maintained for the purpose of ensuring the quality of these essential construction materials for public safety reasons.


Questions for products under restriction as to the quantity or value of imports

Not applicable.


The system applies to products originating from which country?

The licensing system applies to products originating in and coming from all countries.


Expected duration of licensing procedure

Eligibility of applicants


Is there a system of registration of persons or firms permitted to engage in importation?


What persons or firms are eligible to apply for a licence?

Generally, all persons, registered firms and institutions are eligible to apply for the import permit/licence.


Is there a registration fee?


Is there a published list of authorized importers?

All importers licensed to carry on business of importing essential construction materials will be listed on the Register of Licensed Importers, which is accessible for free on BCA’s website.

Contact point for information on eligibility










E-mail address




Contact officer

Submission of an application


Administrative body(ies) for submission of an application

Building and Construction Authority (BCA)

Documentation requirements


What information is required in applications?

For Import Permit, the following information must be declared in the application: licence number issued by BCA; HS Code and Product Code; Product Quantity (in TNE); Source Code; Landing Point; In-Transport Mode; Port of Loading Code; Vessel Name / Vehicle Registration Number; and Arrival Date.


What documents is the importer required to supply with the application?

For Importer’s Licence, application will largely require the particulars of importer and the company. The following supporting documents are also required:

(a) the latest copy of business profile from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority;

(b) the procurement plan; and

(c) for an incorporated entity, copies of a duly passed resolution to the effect that it is duly authorised to carry on the business of an importer of essential construction materials and its memorandum and articles of association.

Window of submission of an application


How far in advance of importation must application for a licence be made?

Applications should be made in advance of arrival of the goods.


Are there any limitations as to the period of the year during which application for licence can be made? If so, explain

There are no limitations on the period of the year during which applications for permit / licence and/or importation may be made.

Issuing the license


Can a licence be granted immediately on request?

Processing time will be required.


Can licences be obtained within a shorter time-limit or for goods arriving at the port without a licence

The time taken for processing the licence applications falls within the periods stipulated in the Agreement on Import Licensing Procedures.


Which administrative body is responsible for approving application of licences?

Consideration of licence application is effected by a single administrative body (i.e. BCA).


Must the applications be passed on to other organs for visa, note or approval?

The importer does not have to approach more than one administrative body.


Are there any other conditions attached to the issue of a licence?

There are no other conditions attached to the issuance of BCA’s import permit and importers’ licence.

Fees and other administrative charges


Is there any licensing fee or administrative charge?

Licensing fees are required


What is the amount of the fee or charge?

Licensing fees are required for the following classes of licences:

(a) For Import Permit, a fee of S$0.12 per tonne or part thereof of the consignment to which the import permit is to relate; or S$10, whichever is higher.

(b) For Importers’ Licence, an application / renewal fee of S$120. Application fee for a hardcopy of an Importer’s Licence is S$30 per copy.


Is there any deposit or advance payment required associated with the issue of licences?

There are no deposit or advance payment requirements associated with the issuance of licences.


Amount or rate?


Is it refundable?


What is the period of retention?


What is the purpose of this requirement?

Refusal of an application


Under what circumstances may an application for a licence be refused other than failure to meet the ordinary criteria?

An application for an import permit/licence is usually granted if it meets the stipulated criteria.


Are the reasons for any refusal given to applicants?

In the event of a refusal for issuance, the reason(s) is/are generally provided.


Have applicants a right of appeal in the event of refusal to issue a licence?


If so, to what bodies and under what procedures?



Are there any limitations as to the period of year during which importation may be made?

There are no limitations on the period of the year during which applications for permit / licence and/or importation may be made.


What documents are required upon actual importation?

Upon actual importation, most importers are required to make an Inward Declaration showing the correct description and quantities of each consignment made electronically through TradeNet. Shipping documents such as the Bill of Lading/ Airway Bill and invoice are also required.


Are there any other administrative procedures, apart from import licensing and similar administrative procedures, required prior to importation?

The sand and granite import must meet the Test Requirements in BCA Testing Requirements for Imported Aggregates, in order to be determined to be of acceptable quality for use as construction materials in Singapore. The testing requirements comprise three stages:

(a) pre-import test (S1 test);

(b) confirmation test (S2 test) on first consignment from a new source; and

(c)random test (S3 test) on subsequent consignments imported.

For new sources, importers are also required to seek BCA’s approval for a storage permit and an isolation location plan.

Conditions of licensing


What is the period of validity of a licence? Can the validity be extended? How?

An Importer’s Licence is valid for one year. Import permit will cease to be valid once the importation of the concerned products is effected. The validity of these licence and permit may be extended by renewal.


Is there any penalty for the non-utilization of a licence or a portion of a licence?

There is no penalty for the non-utilisation of licence or a portion of it.


Are licences transferable between importers? If so, are any limitations or conditions attached to such transfer?

Licences are not transferable without the approval in writing from the relevant authority.

Foreign Exchange


Is foreign exchange automatically provided by the banking authorities for goods to be imported?

Not applicable.


Is a licence required as a condition to obtaining foreign exchange?

Not applicable.


Is foreign exchange always available to cover licences issued?

Not applicable.


What formalities must be fulfilled for obtaining the foreign exchange?

Not applicable.